Friday, 25 September 2009
A last minute card as usual - so it's quite simple. A lot of Spellbinders dies - I seem to be using them a lot lately, labels nine and locket, some cuttlebug embossing and prima hydrangeas, club green ribbon and a few diamantes. Can't believe it has been a year since their wedding, dd2 will be one very soon - I missed the craftzone weekend last year as it clashed with the wedding but I have my car packed ready to head off to Athlone in the morning - yipeeee! It is crammed with stash, I couldn't decide what to bring - I must remember to pack a change of clothes!
So here's to a weekend of crafting yumminess and shopping delight.
Posted by minerva at 23:25
Sunday, 20 September 2009
I combined 2 challenges for this card - the paperplay use a tag challenge and the papertake fake it challenge (faux stitches and paper button).
The overall design looks a bit wonky but truth be told, I'm too busy to redo it. The other baby card is slightly more successful I think.
Anyhow's it all Pay per box card from different eras, cuttlebug embossing, prima hydrangeas and odds n ends from my charm box - the feet I made a long time ago from sculpey, they are really cute and a great any use baby embellishment.
Posted by minerva at 12:53
These are my favourite ever gift for a mum to be. The original idea came from the ultra talented Lauren Meader - I just expanded on the number of "buns" and used 2 different sizes of sock.
Each bun is made up one pair of baby socks - size 0-2.5 for the topping and one single ladies sock size 4-7 for the bun base. So my finished box has 6 pairs of baby socks and 3 pairs of socks for mum.
They were pretty tricky to get a picture of and I think they look much cuter in real life.
Lauren has a brilliant video showing how to make the socks - you can find it here Her cupcakes look really full compared to mine but I think that is because she uses different sizes of sock...
Posted by minerva at 00:50
Tuesday, 15 September 2009
This week's paperplay challenge - set by Kate, is to make a project using no patterned paper. Here's my take on it - I've been meaning to try these bowls for a long time and finally (with a bit of help, made enough strips to construct a soup bowl sized dish and mini flower pot).
Can you tell they are made from the Sunday Times magazine? A real recycling recession busting craft project and while you can't eat your dinner out of them, they will withstand a damp cloth and so I use mine for MM's or peanuts. Basically it is folded sheets of magazine paper with the ends glued down then you stick all the strips together with sellotape and roll into a "snail". Tape the ends down and carefully lift the edges up, bringing up the middle just as if you where making a clay pot. I painted them with black acrylic paint and then sealed with 2 coats of PVA and water glaze.
The flower is a Spellbinders die with swiss dot embossing and brad centre stuck to an inked kebab stick . Chipboard is three bugs and charm from E-bay.
And I've finally nailed by Nestabilities class for Athlone - I have far too many projects for the time frame but they'll be there for inspiration.
Posted by minerva at 19:39
Thursday, 3 September 2009
Just it all seems to be work in progress or is for my GBCE class - I'm revising my ideas every week, but have to make a decision this weekend as to what I am doing. At present have enough for a 7 hour class! So have to whittle it down to a manageable 3 projects - all I'll say is it's Christmas Time and there are no cards...
Here's a baby rattle I made using only Spellbinder dies - nestabilities for the base and the bottom, pendant die for the the rattle (and there's a little shaker made from 2 small circles of card edged with foam tape and filled with rice in the middle, so it really rattles!)
I also decorated bth sides of the card to make it more like a real rattle, I've seen quite a few cards recently that are decorated inside and on the reverse and while it's a lot of work, I think the results can be stunning - I barely have time to finish a front and I confess I hate putting inserts in cards, but I do try and make the effort and usually add a verse or quote as well.
I did my GBCE profile as well here, near the bottom with the dorky photo and I had intended to add an "odd fact" about myself but forgot - so, here it is - I had my tongue pierced 16 years ago by a guy who had practiced on pig skin and jaffa oranges...
Posted by minerva at 02:19